Wednesday, June 19, 2013

About 2 weeks in, and LOVING it!



I wish I could express all that has happened in my time here so far. I find myself very busy, and when there is time to write on the blog I am at a loss for words.
The experience so far has been rich. We attend language and culture classes each day during the week. My mind is being stimulated in ways never known before. I assume I can't think of anything profound to say at this time because I have yet to understand what I am being taught.
I am thoroughly enjoying Spanish classes and I can see significant improvement in my speaking skills. One of our fellow interns, Lisette, left this past Saturday for 3 weeks. The other interns: myself, Gerina, Parker, Arielle & Aron have been continuing life here as normal, but we are excited for her to come back! One of the things I have enjoyed most so far in my time here is being part of a team. The body of Christ is more tangible to me here. The relationships we have here are so interwoven and intimate that it gives me a closeup of what the body of Christ (the church) looks like.
I will try to be better about updating the blog as I know some of you are eager to know what is going on here. However, you may not find out what you expecting to learn from me. Usually when people go on mission trips they have consistent reports for what they have done or projects they have completed. This "mission" is more of an internship, with emphasis being put on learning rather than doing. We are learning to BE missionaries rather than DO mission work. I am so thankful for our mentors who guide us in practice and reflection, practice and reflection...it is a constant cycle.
The thing about short term missions is that if you never go, you'll never go back. God is opening my eyes to new possibilities in the future. If you are praying for me, you could ask God to give me courage to follow where He is leading.
Thanks for your support. I appreciate you, and I need you the same way you need me: we are the body of Christ!

1 comment: