Tuesday, June 11, 2013

After 6 days in South America:

I feel I have fallen behind in my blogging attempts to keep you all posted. My time spent here so far has been busy in a cross-cultural sort of way. Our first weekend here we spent a lot of time getting to know the rest of the mission team and the members of the house churches here. Instead of meeting as one formal institution the missionaries have helped locals form 4 house churches in the city. My house church happens to be made up of mostly women, and we spend our time fellowshipping, singing, sharing our testimonies, and praying....at least this was our experience this past Sunday.

Team Arequipa, which I am so blessed to be joining this summer, is a good example of a self-sustaining mission. Even though I have only been here for 6 days, I have seen multiple projects in which the missionaries are involved. Some of these projects include: library program, Café Connection, and language lessons to name a few. I am loving the objective of holistic missions set up here in the White City of Arequipa, Peru.

Yesterday we began our language classes and today we had our first cultural class. We will be attending these classes multiple times per week. I am so thankful for what the missionaries have prepared to guide us in our learning and understanding of cross-cultural ministry. Obviously we will not fully understand all the adjustments and hardships they have endured in their (almost) 6 years spent here in Peru, but they are encouraging us to be thoughtful and intentional in the way we spend our time here this summer. I cannot wait to share the things they are teaching us!

I am so thankful to say that the interns and the missionaries all seem to get along wonderfully so far. I'm sure we will grow tired of each other at some point, but I couldn't be more excited to learn from, and with, this particular group.

No comments:

Post a Comment