Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Del Café

I write to you this morning from one of my favorite cafes, but my thoughts are heavily set near my FAVORITE cafe: Cafe Connection in Arequipa, Peru. I have been back in the USofA for one week now. I'm sorry it has taken so long to follow up with you. I've wanted to write but I haven't known precisely what would be appropriate to share.

The final weeks of the internship had highs and lows: physically, emotionally, spiritually, personally, interpersonally, and just about every other "-ally" you could think of. In my previous post I mentioned that reality hit when the Harding University students left. At this point, we felt what it was like to say goodbye to our friends of 2-weeks, and we dreaded even more saying goodbye to our friends and family of what would be 9-weeks when our time in Peru had finally come to a close.

Saying goodbyes so gradually and knowing in your mind that this is the "last" of everything you've come to love is like tearing off a Band-Aid.....s-l-o-w-l-y. And so, about one week out from our departure date, I was prepared to go home...I had grown tired of the lingering sting.

After 3 flights, 24 hours of travel, and too many goodbyes, I was graciously welcomed to Oklahoma by three of my best friends who picked me up from the airport and offered long-anticipated hugs +PLUS+ a bundle of balloons! How blessed am I to want to be everywhere I've been? They were eager to hear about my trip, and I was equally excited to hear about what I had missed in their lives for the past two months. When I finally made it to my grandma's house (where I am currently living until school starts) I understood that I had a lot of catching up to do. Let me explain.

Boarding my first flight back to the states, I recorded a video. I didn't want to leave Peru, but I had to understand that the time had come to go back and apply what I had learned. As I lay my head on my pillow in Oklahoma after a long and tearful journey "home," I felt the responsibility heavy on my heart: I could not come back and pick up life as normal here. A changed person must act changed. The trick is re-engaging in a place that seems not to have changed much in your absence.

Struggling to see through the fountains my eyes had become, I read some of the post-mission follow up material given to us by our missionaries. Just because our feet are back on native soil doesn't mean the experience has ended, nor does it declare the end of what can (and should) be learned. Yes, the traveling is over, but the journey will continue.

This part of the learning curve is steep. I find myself wanting to reconnect to the *abundantly blessed life* I live here while simultaneously fighting to hold onto the *RICH-ness* of where I have just been. I say "fighting" because it is a struggle. If I don't fight for balance between the two, I will undoubtedly lose the impact of one or the other.

*abundantly blessed life* and *RICH-ness*
I am in no way talking about money or materials. In both cases, I mean things not seen or physically defined: friendships, laughs, forgiveness, lessons, opportunities...I think you understand.

I will continue writing as I process and gain understanding from my time spent in South America. Thank you so much for reading and for your prayers along the journey. May we all be humbled and become wise in the wisdom of the Lord as we live out the Good News of His Kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment