Monday, July 1, 2013

Gems

There are in our lives gems. We find them unprepared, unexpectedly, undeservedly. They are gifts from a source outside of ourselves, and we are the blessed recipients. I have been reflecting on these gems in my life.

A couple nights ago I had gone to the Café before returning to my Peruvian family's home. I have become good friends with several of the Café workers, in particular a young man named Emilio. He is a member of our house church and a good friend of the missionaries here. Adelita (my sister in the host family) had assured me it was safe to walk back to our house that night, but Emilio insisted on walking me there. Along the way, we talked about important things the way good friends do.

When we got to the house, Emilio kissed me on the cheek (a Latin custom for greeting and sending off), and said goodbye. One thing I love about Emilio is that he always leaves me with a command that will benefit me. Some examples are: Kayla, "estudia"="study" / "tranquila"="be at peace" / "cuidate"="take care of yourself"...

As I said above, Emilio and I spend time talking about things that matter. As he walked me to my house, we shared struggles, thoughts, and reflections. I confessed to him that I was really uneasy about a few things that day ... not even so much uneasy, more so just overwhelmed.

The only explanation I can find for what it's like to come upon a gem in this life is the overwhelming understanding that this (fill in the blank) is simply a gift: be it a person, a circumstance, or a revelation.  I cannot put into words what makes someone a gem. If you can, please respond with your thoughts.

My time here is SO rich. I feel like an unschooled learner who just walked into Österreichische Nationalbibliothek (known as the greatest library in the world) At times I fear I am unequipped to take it all in.

As he said goodbye that night, he left me with the instruction "descansa"="rest". I took it to mean "rest from your fear." {{Sidenote: Let me say, as far as safety goes I feel safe in this place. I don't feel afraid being here, but usually the fears we wear as shackles are not tangible at all.}}  As he turned to walk back to the Café Connection, he disappeared into the crowd. My eyes continued up the hill where I saw a sea of lights. In this city of nearly 1 million people, I was reminded how small we are. I saw the sparkling lights and I thanked God for gems in my life.

So gems...
As I stared into the lights of the city from my rooftop that night, I couldn't get past the realization that I had been gifted with another gem. Thank you God for the gems in our lives. Those people, circumstances, teachings from You, are GIFTS that we don't deserve.

I don't know how to qualify a gem, but this causes me to reason that you cannot describe something from another world with the words of this one. I am convinced there are pieces of heaven on this earth...I like to call them gems.


No comments:

Post a Comment